What's new
Rivian Forums Owners Club - R1T Pickup and R1S SUV Forum

The Rivian Owners Forums are now back online! The forums were offline for awhile as can be seen by the legacy threads and member communications, but hopefully we can begin growing again and be a great outlet for all current and future Rivian owners without being force fed ads all in your face as other forums out there do.

Amateur Radio

KC6DTO

Just made a preorder from Glendora CA. Looking forward to taking an adventure vehicle into the desert. Many places in the desert are unable to reach a cell phone site but not unreachable from VHF/UHF repeater sites which on on top of mountains. Would like see that Rivian will allow the installation of a VHF and/or UHF 2 way communication radio to use when miles away from a cell site.

I don't know much about "amateur radios" other than back in the late '70s I had a base station CB radio in the house and another mobile CB radio in my car, so please excuse any ignorance in my post.

The only requirements from my car to use the CB radio was a power source connection (obviously to the car battery) which was basically finding an available slot in the fuse box. Other than that was finding an optimal place to attach the mobile antenna which for most was simply attaching it to the back edge of the trunk lid. Then run the antenna cable thru the rear trunk wall into the vehicle cabin to the CB radio. I suspect today it may be as simple as plugging the radio into an accessory outlet (aka cigarette lighter) though still finding a way for CB radio reception.

So just out of curiosity what exactly would you like Rivian to provide in their vehicles to "allow the installation of a VHF and/or UHF 2 way communication radio?" Are we talking a convenient way to provide power to the radio? A reception device (e.g. antenna, and if so, where)? Mounting brackets? Built-in microphone and/or speakers? etc.

I was thinking about this a while back. On a conventional car or truck, you have the option of running a fused power lead to the battery and a wire to ground to power items. I have installed power distribution centers in both my current truck and my Jeep to power aftermarket radios, amp, fridge, lighting, etc. I do not know what the current crop of EVs have. I am curious what the options the Rivians will have. I am hoping for a 12 Volt power distribution center aside from a low power 12V cigarette lighter socket.

Thank you for your comments. Let me provide some more information.

Current Radio Installation
I currently drive a 2005 GMC Sierra extended cab pickup with 4 wheel steering and 4 wheel drive. (This truck turns on a dime and gives nine cents change.) I have installed a tri-band amateur radio that operates on the 440, 220, and 144 MHz bands. The radio is installed under to the dash over the transmission "hump" using simple "L" shape brackets. Power is supplied from an accessory 12V deep discharge AGM battery through a fused electrical distribution block, which are both in the engine compartment, then through the firewall (using a grommet to block environmental passage) to the radio. The one foot tall tri-band antenna is installed on the center of the cab roof, over the interior dome light, with the antenna cable routed down the left windshield post to the radio. The MNO antenna connector required creating a one inch hole in the roof. I like to think of my radio installation as a "professional" installation.

I would like to perform a similar radio installation on the Rivian.

Potential Issue: Radio Interference
Amateur radio installation may not be possible on the Rivian. The Rivian has a major computer driving the display screens and several safety related features such as the autonomous driving function. Since the Rivian is promoted as an outdoor adventure vehicle, I hope that the adventure includes using amateur radio. I expect that the safety related features will be protected from radio emissions from neighboring vehicles and fixed radio stations. However, a transmitter located inside the Rivian is another matter that will require testing for possible interference. Amateur radio operators can operate on up to 30 different bands ranging from 135 kHZ to over 250 GHz, using emission types CW, RTTY, SSB and data with maximum power of up to 200 watts on certain bands. As you can see my request for the ability to install amateur radio transmitters inside the Rivian requires a comprehensive test to ensure no interference to the Rivian computers and radios (AM broadcast, FM broadcast, cell phone, GPS, and other).

Please note that GM did not void the warranty due to the radio installation. The many computer chips located inside the GMC are not affected by the radiated energy from the antenna. The radio itself is totally surrounded by grounded metal to minimize spurious emissions. However the GMC does not have the computer or safety related functions as those of the Rivian.

What radio wiring I would like to be provided inside the Rivian
I am looking for a convenient way to provide power to the radio. A fused electrical distribution block that can service mobile radio transmitters, up to 20 Amps. A cigarette lighter plug is not recommended for amateur radio installations.
A 52Ω coaxial cable with a BNC, pl259, SMA, or N type connector on the inside of the cab. The antenna wire should be capable of being routed to the middle of the roof, the bed, or the frunk. :) Most garage doors are too low to allow a roof antenna. So alternative antenna locations would be desirable.

Radio option
A hands free operated 2 meter 50 W radio would be a nice option to have in the Rivian.
An audio connection from the radio to the Rivian speakers would be a nice option to have in the Rivian.

Beyond my experience. About all I can add is that the R1S will have a glass roof. Not known yet if this will be optional and/or they will be providing other roof configurations.

I would highly encourage you to submit your question(s)/request(s) directly to Rivian. I'm sure they would value your input as I would agree using an amateur radio would fall into the realm of adventure vehicles. Plus, I get the strong impression that Rivian feeds off this information from the "adventure" audience to help shape their vehicles. If they didn't consider amateur radio with the initial launch version, perhaps they can with later versions. It would certainly be to your (and others) benefit to get this information into the hands of someone at Rivian.

Back