What's new
Rivian Forums Owners Club - R1T Pickup and R1S SUV Forum

The Rivian Owners Forums are now back online! The forums were offline for awhile as can be seen by the legacy threads and member communications, but hopefully we can begin growing again and be a great outlet for all current and future Rivian owners without being force fed ads all in your face as other forums out there do.

Official Rivian Pre-Order Thread

Are you a Rivian pre-order holder?

• Yes

Votes: 72 80.9%
  • No

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Waiting for the R1S: SUV

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Still deciding

Votes: 11 12.4%

• Total voters

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
We will make this the official pre-order thread with poll. Make your selection above and feel free to share why you made your pre-order choice, what you may be waiting for before committing, etc.

(Still deciding) - Overall I have been really taken up with the R1T truck. That said, I would love to test drive it first and get to know the vehicle itself better.

Yes, it wouldn't hurt to pre-order it now, but it also doesn't hurt to wait a bit either. The Rivian R1T is an outstanding truck and I'm sure I'll pre-order it soon.

Yes! Was already looking to get a truck sometime in 1-2 years so this came at a perfect time. Hopefully Rivian pulls through!

EXTREMELY impressed by what I am seeing, and sure checks off an awful lot of boxes for me. I'm waiting to pull the trigger on a pre-order, but I have 2 deal breakers for my next EV: Needs to have Apple CarPlay, and a non-leather option for seats. Hopefully those are in the cards...?

Placed a preorder for both because I couldn’t decide which one yet until I’m able to see, touch and drive. Very tempted to replace the remaining vehicles in my driveway with both if the stated numbers hold true.

Yes. The "frunk", gear tunnel, and weatherproof tonneau that stows out of the way add much needed utility for this longtime truck owner.

Yes. Placed my order for the R1S - but I am still intrigued by the R1T. My confirmation letter states "If at any time you decide you'd like to switch models, no need to cancel your order and lose your place in line — when it’s time to configure your vehicle, you’ll be able to switch between the R1T and R1S.", so I am in the mind to make my final decision when I get my notification. Whichever one I pick, I will choose the long range battery pack option.

I picked the SUV first because I gave up my Volvo XC90 (after a long line of SUVs) for my current vehicle, a 2017 Ford Fusion Titanium PHEV which I bought to prove out my EV curiosity. I seriously miss the SUV convenience and AWD, but I really love the EV part of my car. So I am an EV convert for life. Hence my excitement to pre-order the Rivian. Tesla's are great and I could satisfy that itch immediately if so inclined, but I am willing to wait for what appears to be a superior SUV. I am also excited to see the 2019 model year fill out with all of the promised EVs coming to market - unfortunately too many of them are looking to be compliance cars available only in California and Maine, etc.

I am a professional in the commercial aerospace industry and have a long history of family ties to automotive hobbies, however, I am in no means a gear head or any level of automotive expert, I just REALLY like new and improving technology in cars and aerospace...

I haven't actually put my $1,000 yet because I'm trying to find out when and where I can see one in person beforehand. Yes, the $1,000 is fully refundable and I'll probably end up doing it just to preserve my place in line, but it would be nice if Rivian would publish a schedule of what auto shows they will be at - I've heard about NYC in April but has anything else been announced?

I haven't actually put my $1,000 yet because I'm trying to find out when and where I can see one in person beforehand. Yes, the $1,000 is fully refundable and I'll probably end up doing it just to preserve my place in line, but it would be nice if Rivian would publish a schedule of what auto shows they will be at - I've heard about NYC in April but has anything else been announced?

Nothing yet so far. They got a lot to prepare for on the NY show so I am sure they are fully concentrated on that and all the press coming their way. I usually check their Twitter feed to see if any events get announced.

Nothing yet so far. They got a lot to prepare for on the NY show so I am sure they are fully concentrated on that and all the press coming their way. I usually check their Twitter feed to see if any events get announced.

I went ahead and put down my $1,000 anyway - it's refundable and the truck looks awesome enough to be worth the risk.

I’ve placed my deposit on an R1T. It addresses the reasons I don’t have a Model X: spare tire, ground clearance, real towing, fording ability and the ability to mimic a locking differential. I really hope the interior is as durable as advertised. And I wish the spare tire could go somewhere else.

It can go somewhere else - in your garage. That's where my Model X spare is. And that's where it will stay until I go on a trip where Ranger service is iffy. You could, of course, move the spare to the bed if you wanted to use its compartment for extra protection (from elements or thieves).

My wife and I just got back to Florida from the NYIAS after reserving or place in line for the R1T. All the videos and pictures leading up to Saturday were great, but seeing it in person...seeing how my wife even reacted to it. Can't wait!

Pre-ordered R1S, saw R1S in person at NYC recently, my first impression it looks big definitely bigger than what it looks in pics. cargo space is a little disappointing considering the size of R1S expected a little bit more, guys at NYC event told its pre-production version final version will have a deep well in the back like Tesla X but I doubt based on the design.

Still debating between Model X and Rivian, Rivian is good only thing that is bothering me is how good charging network integration will be. I currently own a Model 3 and I see how important that charge station integration with trip monitor is, where it will tell u how many stations are available etc. With Rivian waiting to see how they will do this, as it has to rely on third party networks so providing real-time information about availability is not that easy and accurate.

For me the next important thing is how r they gona provide service for any unexpected events.

Once I get more clarity on these two then I will take final call. For now sticking on with my reservation.

Placed my pre-order deposit for the R1S. But like @RockDaphne98296 , I'm very intrigued by the R1T so I may change it when I'm notified that I can configure my vehicle. What's funny, at least to me, is that I've never owned / had the need for a pick-up, but I'll be darn that this R1T doesn't have me thinking how I could make use of it. :)

BTW, @Admin, seems like the 3rd choice in the poll is no longer applicable. My pre-order confirmation email implies both the R1T and R1S will both be available during the initial launch in late 2020 as long it is either the 180 or 135 kWh battery packs.

From my pre-order confirmation email:

"Production will begin in 2020. Fully equipped vehicles with the highest performance level and largest battery pack will enter production first. Our 180 kWh and 135 kWh packs will be available at launch with the 105 kWh to follow in 2021. "

Last edited:
I am more of an SUV person but my pre-order is for the pick up. Will see what happens by the time I actually have to configure it. Depending on what else the Rivian designers and builders decide to come up withe between now and that time. Can't wait!! :)

Pre-ordered the R1S, I have a Tesla model S and a Jeep Grand Cherokee now. This will replace the Jeep when the lease is up. I need to be able to pull my camper and haul four large dogs. The SUV just seems to fit the bill

Back