What's new
Rivian Forums Owners Club - R1T Pickup and R1S SUV Forum

The Rivian Owners Forums are now back online! The forums were offline for awhile as can be seen by the legacy threads and member communications, but hopefully we can begin growing again and be a great outlet for all current and future Rivian owners without being force fed ads all in your face as other forums out there do.

Electrical charging connections at home.

Rivian EAVs, like any other plug-in EVs, require no more than a 110v service outlet, which is referred to as level 1 charging.
For faster charging rates you could purchase and install a level 2 charger to take advantage of the 240v service already in your garage.

Rivian claims both EAVs will have a 11 kW on-board charger with a max 48 amp draw. No specifics yet on the max voltage.

For level 3 / fast charging, Rivian spec sheet indicates a max charge rate of 160 kW.

DISCLAIMER: These numbers are from pre-production specs and could easily change with the production version.

I found this website some time ago and found it very informative - "Guide On How To Charge Your Electric Car With Charging Stations"

Last edited:
Who knows what Rivian will supply with the vehicles or what charging accessories they will make available (i.e. will they offer something like the Tesla HPWC)? Taking the 48 Amp maximum at face value a circuit with a 60 A breaker wired to the EVSE with #6 THHN, THWN or SE would be required. If Rivian, learning from Tesla, provides with the vehicles (which I am sure they wiil) a plug-in traveling charger with adapters then these will probably, as is the case with Tesla, be a 240 V NEMA 14-50P adapter which plugs into a NEMA 14-50R receptacle. This would be wired behind a 50 A breaker using #6 NM-B or #8 SE, THHN or THWN. The charger would have to limit the current draw to 40 amps (breaker and wiring have to be de-rated to 80% for any load which may persist for more than 3 hours and EVSE is considered to be such no matter how long charging actually lasts) in such a setup. But note that Tesla has limited draw from a 14-540R to 32 A.

The Rivian will have a CCS/combo receptacle so any of the available EVSE (check Amazon) should do. The heftiest seem to deliver 40A and thus would have requirements a listed above. Others are rated at 32 and 16 A. For batteries above 150 kWh in size I think we'll all want to get as close to the maximum the vehicle will take (48 amps) as we can.

Last edited:
Early pictures showed the charging port on the passenger side of the vehicle. However, the updates from Tierra Del Fuego had the charging port on the driver's side. Sure hope they keep it on the passenger side. Most other electric cars have the charging port either in the front of the car or on the drivers side (Audi, Tesla, Bolt, Jaguar --> driver side; Nissan, Hyundai, Kia -->front; with only Volkswagen, BMW having it on the Passenger side) . Placing it on the passenger side allows two electric cars to be parked next to each other with only a few inches to a few feet separating the charging ports between the two vehicles making it very easy to charge both vehicles from on charging station.

Placing it on the passenger side allows two electric cars to be parked next to each other with only a few inches to a few feet separating the charging ports between the two vehicles making it very easy to charge both vehicles from on charging station.

You're reasoning implies the other EV has it's charging port on the driver side. I don't see this as an issue with public charging stations as most have two charging cables that are long enough to reach the far corner of a vehicle. Personally I would rather have it on the drive side. More convenient to access (e.g. shorter distance when inclement weather). I believe the main issue for most people is the placement of their home charger, and for most that's in the garage and especially if they have another EV to charge.

You are absolutely right about I was talking about home charging and having the charging point on the passenger side would be more convenient for me (selfishly). I should have stated that. I already have an electric car and would likely keep it after I received the RT1, The ev I have I charge at home. It is better for urban environment, while the RT1 would be used to head to the mountains or haul a boat trailer.

I see your point of view for public charging provided the public station is opened on both sides of it. However, if the right side public charging station is occupied (could be more likely because of the larger number of electric vehicles with the port on the left side), you will have to park to the left side of charging station. if that is the case, you still have to go to the passenger side of the car to retrieve the cable.

I thought I saw something saying both sides, with one side having the 110v connection. I searched and found this exact issue on Twitter in January - Rivian was on the thread but didn’t commit to location(s).

I thought I saw something saying both sides, with one side having the 110v connection. I searched and found this exact issue on Twitter in January - Rivian was on the thread but didn’t commit to location(s).

Only time/place I heard of Rivian EAVs having two ports (front driver and front passenger sides) was the recent spy reports from the testing they are currently doing in Tierra del Fuego, South America. However, since then Rivian has recently stated (on Twitter and in an email) to not read anything into the changes made to those vehicles as (some?) are temporary and not intended for production. In addition, a member of another forum attended the recent private event in Atlanta and posted this as part of his notes: "Charge port will be only on the driver side in production vehicles. Not on passenger side like in the vehicles we saw today or both sides as has been speculated based on pictures from Argentina."

Back