What's new
Rivian Forums Owners Club - R1T Pickup and R1S SUV Forum

The Rivian Owners Forums are now back online! The forums were offline for awhile as can be seen by the legacy threads and member communications, but hopefully we can begin growing again and be a great outlet for all current and future Rivian owners without being force fed ads all in your face as other forums out there do.

R1T Pricing

Mickle8

Founding Member
Hey everyone,

Placed my pre-order for the R1T and am very excited. Haven’t gotten any communication from Rivian other than the email confirmation of the deposit.

In the mean time I’ve been wondering how they will price out their battery packs. We know that the base price for the 105kW model will be starting at $69K but nothing after that.

Where do you think the pricing for the 135kW and 180kW will land? Do you think once Tesla and Ford announce their electric trucks by 2020 and the loss of the $7500 federal tax incentive will influance their future pricing?

All is speculative but thought I would spur a discussion on the topic.

Same here. Seems like a lack of communications and answers from Rivian but I am sure they are crazy busy with all they got going on.

Who knows on the tax credit as the administration is trying to eliminate it but the manufacturers are of course going to fight to extend it and I am sure Rivian is trying to grasp on that credit for their reservation holders.

$69K is pretty up there for a mid sized truck so not too sure how the market will be open to that especially not know what Ford or Tesla will be pricing their electric trucks at and Tesla has the leverage of their supercharger network to entice buyers to their truck. There is a lot of unknowns but I do like where Rivian is going and the team behind it.

If I remember correctly, when ordering my Tesla 75D, the price difference between the 75 and 100 battery pack was around $20K. So figure at least 20K+ jump increments between the higher battery packs if not more.

Same here. Seems like a lack of communications and answers from Rivian but I am sure they are crazy busy with all they got going on.

Who knows on the tax credit as the administration is trying to eliminate it but the manufacturers are of course going to fight to extend it and I am sure Rivian is trying to grasp on that credit for their reservation holders.

$69K is pretty up there for a mid sized truck so not too sure how the market will be open to that especially not know what Ford or Tesla will be pricing their electric trucks at and Tesla has the leverage of their supercharger network to entice buyers to their truck. There is a lot of unknowns but I do like where Rivian is going and the team behind it.

If I remember correctly, when ordering my Tesla 75D, the price difference between the 75 and 100 battery pack was around $20K. So figure at least 20K+ jump increments between the higher battery packs if not more.

The lack of communication to their paid customer base is one area where I have definitely been disappointed. I get that they are busy, but assigning an account management team to the pre-order customers seems a no-brainer to me to facilitate the sales nurturing process. They have had the time to implement marketing efforts to drum up more sales, but they also need to focus on informing their customer base. Modern businesses tend to be a bit more transparent and provide personalized service to dissuade a feeling by their customers of being outsiders and promote inclusiveness. I would have expected to see regular updates touching on topics like information on the manufacturing facility, software system, charging station network, repair and maintenance strategy, available colors, add-on options, calendar of opportunities to view and test drive the vehicles, etc.

The lack of communication to their paid customer base is one area where I have definitely been disappointed. I get that they are busy, but assigning an account management team to the pre-order customers seems a no-brainer to me to facilitate the sales nurturing process. They have had the time to implement marketing efforts to drum up more sales, but they also need to focus on informing their customer base. Modern businesses tend to be a bit more transparent and provide personalized service to dissuade a feeling by their customers of being outsiders and promote inclusiveness. I would have expected to see regular updates touching on topics like information on the manufacturing facility, software system, charging station network, repair and maintenance strategy, available colors, add-on options, calendar of opportunities to view and test drive the vehicles, etc.
I understand your frustration and while I’d like answers to any and all of my questions, I think Rivian is still figuring a lot of this stuff out. A lot of your questions have been answered either on this forum, on the multiple social media accounts held by Rivian, or on other forums or videos that are readily available.

A lot of your questions have been answered either on this forum, on the multiple social media accounts held by Rivian, or on other forums or videos that are readily available.

True, but the OP topic is about R1T pricing and unfortunately there really hasn't been any additional news "from Rivian" regarding this for either EAV. I get it, to a degree, from a competitive stand-point with other manufactures, new and old, throwing their hat in the ring. Plus, I get the impression Rivian is a type of company who likes to be thorough, does their homework, before making announcements of such matters just for the sake of announcing. They want to announce their "news" once and not have to go back on it with changes. This is a patient, dare I say, disciplined company that observed quietly from the side lines as Tesla made, and continues to make, good and bad decisions.

FWIW, I recall reading a few weeks ago in some article (or perhaps a video) where a Rivian rep responded to a question that pre-order holders would be able to configure their EV later this year. If that's true than clearly that would be the latest we would have to wait for pricing info - perhaps even sooner - so within the next 6 months or so. For most it will still be close to another year after placing their configured order before they actually receive their EV. Gonna have to learn to play the long game; just hope in the mean time this doesn't bite Rivian in the behind with too many of the pre-order holders dropping out.

True, but the OP topic is about R1T pricing and unfortunately there really hasn't been any additional news "from Rivian" regarding this for either EAV. I get it, to a degree, from a competitive stand-point with other manufactures, new and old, throwing their hat in the ring. Plus, I get the impression Rivian is a type of company who likes to be thorough, does their homework, before making announcements of such matters just for the sake of announcing. They want to announce their "news" once and not have to go back on it with changes. This is a patient, dare I say, disciplined company that observed quietly from the side lines as Tesla made, and continues to make, good and bad decisions.

FWIW, I recall reading a few weeks ago in some article (or perhaps a video) where a Rivian rep responded to a question that pre-order holders would be able to configure their EV later this year. If that's true than clearly that would be the latest we would have to wait for pricing info - perhaps even sooner - so within the next 6 months or so. For most it will still be close to another year after placing their configured order before they actually receive their EV. Gonna have to learn to play the long game; just hope in the mean time this doesn't bite Rivian in the behind with too many of the pre-order holders dropping out.

I am in agreement with these comments. Their careful thought out approach and diligence is one of the reasons I felt comfortable putting a deposit down on day one having kept my eye on them for some time. This has surprised people who know me, because intending to buy a first-run vehicle from a new manufacturer is not something people expect from me given my studied approach to much less significant purchases. I am not one to buy things because they are shiny and I drive my vehicles into the ground before replacing them. I have yet to tell somebody about my future vehicle who has actually heard of Rivian... We are ambassadors of their brand and product and I don't feel that Rivian is embracing/leveraging their pre-order community as such. I am not saying that they should be communicating every thought and whim they have, but to keep regular meaningful updates flowing directed at their pre-order community (not particularly interested in the 'lifestyle' videos).

Here is an idea: Release a version 1 of a Rivian Mobile app that can gain features as we get closer to production. Initially it could be used primarily as a communication conduit where they can share information, foster discussion, and poll their customer base. A great early feature would be to have augmented reality access to a complete full-scale detailed model of the vehicles so for those of us who have been unable to make it to the various in-person events can inspect every aspect of the vehicle close-up in our own driveways (and of course be able to take pictures/videos with the vehicle ). Eventually as feature configuration is added, we could view the AR hologram with our selected colors and features. I know from some forum comments that there seems to be this worry that working on anything other than production readiness will cause delays, but I think that is a bit of an over-simplistic perspective. That aside, as far as my AR suggestion, I would expect that they already have the 3D models built and can make them available.

The lack of contact is to be expected. When we ordered our Tesla Model X, we heard very little in the three years we waited for it. We got some information from Tesla employees at the stores, but they were also kept in the dark. The one change is the road show for the Rivian models. At least they are willing to pony up for space, food, and drinks and let you at least look at what the cars are going to be like. That is an improvement over what Tesla did, which was nothing. I'm waiting till they get up here to Portland or Seattle and go check them out in person. I don't expect to get mine till early 2021, so wait I must.

The lack of contact is to be expected. When we ordered our Tesla Model X, we heard very little in the three years we waited for it. We got some information from Tesla employees at the stores, but they were also kept in the dark. The one change is the road show for the Rivian models. At least they are willing to pony up for space, food, and drinks and let you at least look at what the cars are going to be like. That is an improvement over what Tesla did, which was nothing. I'm waiting till they get up here to Portland or Seattle and go check them out in person. I don't expect to get mine till early 2021, so wait I must.

I'm in the Portland area as well and waiting for the same opportunity :)

Back