What's new
Rivian Forums Owners Club - R1T Pickup and R1S SUV Forum

The Rivian Owners Forums are now back online! The forums were offline for awhile as can be seen by the legacy threads and member communications, but hopefully we can begin growing again and be a great outlet for all current and future Rivian owners without being force fed ads all in your face as other forums out there do.

Rivian - Please take part in the Tesla Supercharger network!

Feathermerchant

Founding Member
The only thing holding me up from putting down a deposit is a long distance charging network. Tesla has always said that they would entertain anyone who wanted to share the expense. Please do it, Rivian.

PS has anyone heard anything from Rivian on this?

They will not utilize the Tesla network. They will be using the CCS which is supported by Jaguar, Volkswagen, General Motors, BMW, Daimler, Ford, FCA, Hyunda, and Electrify America. This should become the de-facto standard for charging in the US.

Relying on third party charge network is tricky, u wont be able to get real time information like Tesla to show the availability of charge stations so it can re-route or plan ahead. Hope Rivian will come up with their own Network or pick one or two networks and have some tight integration with those stations.

Relying on third party charge network is tricky, u wont be able to get real time information like Tesla to show the availability of charge stations so it can re-route or plan ahead. Hope Rivian will come up with their own Network or pick one or two networks and have some tight integration with those stations.

Disagree. It is a small amount of data easily shared securely. Google is now able to show that on certain (not Tesla) chargers. The "chargers" must have connectivity for billing purposes so the data is there.

Disagree. It is a small amount of data easily shared securely. Google is now able to show that on certain (not Tesla) chargers. The "chargers" must have connectivity for billing purposes so the data is there.[/QUOTE

May be its not clear, I dint say its not possible what I said is it wont be accurate as they had to rely on what ever info they get from those third party networks. There exists so many apps to show that information but accuracy of that information is what I am talking about.

Disagree. It is a small amount of data easily shared securely. Google is now able to show that on certain (not Tesla) chargers. The "chargers" must have connectivity for billing purposes so the data is there.

Completely agree. Google maps can now even show the number of stations at particular locations and if they are available.

You obviously have not used ChargePoint's app. Not only does it show you what level 2 and 3 chargers are in the area, but as stated above(if connected to the network) show their current user status. I also imagine that when Electrify America's app goes live that it too will show real-time data on available charging locations similar to Tesla...

To your point though...Tesla does have a metric crap-ton of Superchargers and destination chargers nationwide...but they are on an island that is shrinking ever so slowly. When EVERY SINGLE MANUFACTURER is implementing J1772 and CCS/SAE in their vehicles, it will only be a matter of time before worrying about my next charging station is will be a thing of the 2018s...

Plugshare.com No anxiety.

Agreed 100%...I am currently driving a 2016 Spark EV....You want to talk about range anxiety....I get 50-100 miles a day...depending on how I feel like driving that day...PlugShare is amazing. I will be installing my WattZilla WallWattz next week and more than likely adding it to the PlugShare Network. It will be overkill for my Spark, but once my R1T arrives at the end of '20....I will be set.

When I saw the announcement of the Rivian pickup, I was so excited I could barely contain myself but, as a Tesla owner I can’t imagine not being on the Tesla network. It’s totally worry free and highly reliable. The standard should be the Tesla network. Using disparate systems adds to the confusion and hinders EV adoption.

Of course, in such a system, the non-Tesla companies would be required to add to the network. The number a stations and chargers they would be required to add would be dictated by their sales numbers. A consortium of those EV companies, led by Tesla, would need to be formed to determine where new stations should be added. This would result in a network that would be recognized across the nation and lessen the confusion, especially by current non-EV owners.

The Tesla network is the best logical choice. With the market penetration and brand recognition Tesla has, having other car companies join the network would be yet another nail in the coffin of this ICE world we still live in.

Back