What's new
Rivian Forums Owners Club - R1T Pickup and R1S SUV Forum

The Rivian Owners Forums are now back online! The forums were offline for awhile as can be seen by the legacy threads and member communications, but hopefully we can begin growing again and be a great outlet for all current and future Rivian owners without being force fed ads all in your face as other forums out there do.

Sub 90k version on the long range battery

I just read this as well and found it interesting. I’m guessing this would be for the R1T, but who knows?

I do find it strange why the longest range R1S will be 5 seater instead of 7. Figuring the batteries will be laid out through the floor from front to back, are they planning to put more batteries in the back? Or maybe the R1S long range will have different features that requires eliminating the extra 2 seating?

For the long range option - I am ok with a 5 passenger SUV - I had a 7 passenger SUV and those seats were used maybe 3 times in the 10 years I owned that SUV - but I can see that might be a deterrent for others. I am all about the range (and the quirk) the Rivian will provide... watching a few interviews held at the LA Auto Show peaked the techie nerd in me - I sincerely hope all of that comes on the delivered vehicles - because... sigh... there is that nerd again!

Anyone concerned that it seems Rivian's batteries are not as efficient as Teslas?

A Model X 100D range is 295 miles (2.95 miles per kWh), while Rivian's R1S 135kwh battery gives 310+ miles ( we don't know how much the + adds but can't be much more so let's say 340 miles) coming in at 2.29 - 2.44 miles per kWh.

I wonder if it’s not so much a battery inefficiency, but maybe a higher drag coefficient?

Definitely has to do with the fact that Tesla designed their vehicles very aerodynamically. Wheras, Rivian, is big, boxy, and bold! Have a newer 4 Runner and will be replacing it with the R1S if they hopefully pull through and come to market. Fingers crossed.

Anyone concerned that it seems Rivian's batteries are not as efficient as Teslas?

A Model X 100D range is 295 miles (2.95 miles per kWh), while Rivian's R1S 135kwh battery gives 310+ miles ( we don't know how much the + adds but can't be much more so let's say 340 miles) coming in at 2.29 - 2.44 miles per kWh.
Hi Cosmo,

I am wondering if the fact that the 135kwh option is also the performance version impacts this calculation, have you evaluated the base and extended options? I am not sure what the formula is?

Hi Cosmo,

I am wondering if the fact that the 135kwh option is also the performance version impacts this calculation, have you evaluated the base and extended options? I am not sure what the formula is?

Hmm I had no idea the 135kWh option was their performance line? I totally must of missed that.

But doing the calculation on the others, the 105 comes out slightly worse and the 180 the same as the 135. :unsure:

Hmm I had no idea the 135kWh option was their performance line? I totally must of missed that.

But doing the calculation on the others, the 105 comes out slightly worse and the 180 the same as the 135. :unsure:

Thanks for extending the calc :)

The bigger tires will also have an effect on range - Tesla's tires are all designed for low rolling resistance, whereas the Rivian's are bigger and beefier with a deeper tread, as they assume you're going to take it off road.

The bigger tires will also have an effect on range - Tesla's tires are all designed for low rolling resistance, whereas the Rivian's are bigger and beefier with a deeper tread, as they assume you're going to take it off road.
Speaking with the Rivian reps at the NY Autoshow, you'll be able to configure the vehicle with various options including tge tires. You'll be able to purchase with the beefier tires or ones with a lower rolling resistance.

Weight, motor power consumption and Coefficient of drag.

We usually speak in Wh /mi.
The truck is supposed to do "over 400 mi" on 180 kWh. that is 450 Wh / mi or less. My Tesla Model 3 is rated at 240 Wh / mi. So 450 sounds pretty reasonable given the aerodynamics. It may not be the batteries though. Tesla just announced that they were now building Model S and X with the motor and invertor tech from the Model 3 and increased the S range by 35 miles. About 10%.

Who thinks their payload and towing are not affected by the battery size? Hint: They have to be affected because part of the trailer is carried by the truck. Unless they can stay under their max GVW, towing capacity will have to be reduced with the big battery.

Back