What's new
Rivian Forums Owners Club - R1T Pickup and R1S SUV Forum

The Rivian Owners Forums are now back online! The forums were offline for awhile as can be seen by the legacy threads and member communications, but hopefully we can begin growing again and be a great outlet for all current and future Rivian owners without being force fed ads all in your face as other forums out there do.

Towing Features

dgkallan

I'm an R1T and R1S reservation holder. I just finished a trailering RV trip with some friends who pulled the RV with a Denali. His truck had all sorts of features for tow/haul, hitch cam, exhaust braking (regen braking equivalent), etc.

Can Rivian discuss what towing features it has?

Can Rivian discuss what towing features it has?

I'm sure Rivian can though I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a response in this or any other forum as I've yet to read any post from someone claiming to be from Rivian. (I suspect they monitor some of the forums but in read-only mode.) I'd suggest sending them an email though I've read others have not had good success with Rivian responding. Since you're a reservation holder your best bet is to attend one of their private events if you're able to. If you can't attend then perhaps someone from any of these Rivian forums that is also a reservation holder and plans on attending an event probably would be willing to ask one of the Rivian engineers for you.

Thank you for the response. I have emailed in the past with no response. I'm hoping to make the SF show when that comes around.

Tow/haul - Not needed on the Rivian. Tow/haul changes transmission shift points. Since the Rivian has only a single speed transmission, and more torque than just about any diesel pickup truck in first gear, there is no need for more.

Hitch cam - I think this will be standard or an option as it is available on almost all pickups now.

Exhaust braking (regen braking equivalent), etc. - I am certain regent breaking strong enough to hold speed with a trailer will be available. It would be ridiculous to waste that much energy in an EV going downhill by heating up break pads.

Electric trucks will be monster towing machines. The biggest issue is the loss of range. A 5,000 camper will cut the range in half. If you tow at max capacity, you are looking closer to 1/4th the range.

I would really love to see a hybrid electric truck with a large battery and a range extending engine.

Thanks for the great response. I'm looking forward to attending the SF show to learn more. We tow our boat (probably 6,500 lbs with trailer), so towing could be a deal breaker.

Great update @CappyJax .

Exhaust braking (regen braking equivalent), etc. - I am certain regent breaking strong enough to hold speed with a trailer will be available. It would be ridiculous to waste that much energy in an EV going downhill by heating up break pads.

I recall a similar topic was heavily debated in another forum (CappyJax, you may even been a part of it) regarding regen braking and towing. I don't recall the specifics but from what I recall taking away from that discussion is just because it might be something obvious to do does not mean it's technically possible at least within a frame of safety.

Electric trucks will be monster towing machines. The biggest issue is the loss of range. A 5,000 camper will cut the range in half. If you tow at max capacity, you are looking closer to 1/4th the range.
Talking with Brian and RJ, they stated that towing at the full 11k would only cut range by 50% or so, not 75%.

Talking with Brian and RJ, they stated that towing at the full 11k would only cut range by 50% or so, not 75%.

I heard that too but keep in mind without knowing more about the towing scenario, road conditions, weather, etc. (such as aerodynamics of the towed, will route include inclines and if so, how steep and for how far, and wind speed/direction), which can greatly impact battery range, any estimate without that input would be a WAG, just as it would be trying to calc the MPG with an ICE.

I'd like to see some sliding scale for weight of what is being towed and mileage. You listed a lot of factors but at least something simple like that would help assess if it's a good fit for the needs of those that tow.

Back