What's new
Rivian Forums Owners Club - R1T Pickup and R1S SUV Forum

The Rivian Owners Forums are now back online! The forums were offline for awhile as can be seen by the legacy threads and member communications, but hopefully we can begin growing again and be a great outlet for all current and future Rivian owners without being force fed ads all in your face as other forums out there do.

Upgrading from???

Jimcgov3

Founding Member
Good evening. For those who have pre-ordered the R1T, what are you replacing or upgrading from? I personally have/had a 2017 Nissan Titan PRO-4X that I will be handing over the keys to CarMax on Monday afternoon. They just offered me an amount I couldn't refuse...Commence the savings plan until the end of '20. So what is in everyone's garage that will be replaced by the R1T?

No one...Seriously?....Is no one upgrading from a previous vehicle? Has everyone been vehicle-less up until now? Thanks jeffom for the thumbs up at least....God bless...

Hey @Jimcgov3 I guess only you and I have an existing vehicle. LOL I own a 20008 Toyota Tundra TRD Limited that I love. 150,000 miles and in amazing shape. Everyone always says it still looks new...and I do a lot of adventure stuff with it. Weekly trips to snowboard, Surf, standup paddleboard, bike, hike 2+ kids (include the girlfriends and its 4) and two Rhodesian Ridgebacks that travel with me all the time. I plan on using the shit out of my R1T !!!

Well, I pre-ordered the R1S, but I understand I can decide to order the truck instead when the time comes. I'm starting to lean toward the truck the more I learn about it. Right now I have two vehicles - A Cadillac ELR and Mitsubishi Montero Ltd. I use the EV for driving to work, nights out, and everyday trips. I use the SUV for camping, the beach and hitting Lake Tahoe. I only have about 55k miles on each but intend to sell them both for the one Rivian (which ever one I decide to purchase).

I have a 07 Dodge Cummins and a Jeep Rubicon LJ. I will most likely sell my Cummins..... wow, I can't believe I just typed that. I love that truck.

I pre-ordered the R1S, but I understand I can decide to order the truck instead when the time comes. I'm starting to lean toward the truck the more I learn about it.

Ditto! It's funny (at least to me) that I've never owned a pickup but I'll be darn if I'm not getting intrigued, actually excited, about the R1T, though I couldn't be more squarely on the fence at this time. I'm really hoping the remaining questions on my list of questions that still need answers will help decide which one to order. I'm expecting more specs and details to be released about each EAV in the next few months since RJ and other Rivian reps have recently said that pre-order holders will be able to configure their vehicles later this year.

For now I drive a 2008 Mitsubishi Endeavor SE AWD which I got new. Prior to that a 1995 Ford Explorer XLT also bought new. As you can see I buy my vehicles for the long haul, and I'm hoping to do the same with the Rivian though it will be my first EV. And because of that my plan is to initially keep my Endeavor for a while as a second vehicle ... assuming I can save enough pennies to buy the Rivian without the cash of trade-in.

2019 Ram 1500…love it, great for hauling landscaping materials, road trips, and commuting. My first pickup, and I enjoy it a lot.

As much as I love the Ram, looking forward to having a truck with a smaller exterior, similar hauling capacity, great performance…and…no more (frequent) trips to a gas station. Plan to install solar panels (live in a sunny climate) and use the sun to cool the house and power the truck. Can't wait!

2017 black edition Honda Ridgeline - yes it is a real truck LOL! I love it, it looks great and drives so smoothly. A ton a function like dual articulation on the tail gate and a truck in the bed that acts as a cooler for tailgating. I offer it for sale to this group though as I have a deposit down on an R1T!

T
Good evening. For those who have pre-ordered the R1T, what are you replacing or upgrading from? I personally have/had a 2017 Nissan Titan PRO-4X that I will be handing over the keys to CarMax on Monday afternoon. They just offered me an amount I couldn't refuse...Commence the savings plan until the end of '20. So what is in everyone's garage that will be replaced by the R1T?
Tesla Model 3 here

Not upgrading per se but adding an addition as would like a truck. Currently have a 2017 Model S.

Always been an SUV fan myself..currently leasing a 2017 Lexus RX Sport until I get myself ironically the R1T. I like the versatility of it over the SUV. So cannot wait.

Put my deposit on an R1T in February. Sold my 2011 Cadillac CTS-V wagon with manual tran in April. Been banking the car payments in a savings account. Now driving a 2006 Volvo V50 wagon. Looking forward to having a truck again, as much fun and rare as the Caddy was.

I’ve placed a deposit on an R1T as a replacement for my 2006 265000 mile Prius, which I expect to fail at some point past 320K... it started burning a little oil, and plugs have to be replaced a couple times a year due to fouling. None of that on an EV... and so I want a Rivian to deliver around 400K miles over its Service life.... but whether or not it can be expected, that’s going to depend on the data that trickles out over the next year.

Recently sold Nissan Frontier NISMO, great truck, could go almost anywhere in that thing and nice size for moving dirtbikes etc. Time to try out electric. Anyone ever wonder what would happen if 1 motor failed, particularly to a front wheel, particularly at speed?

Recently sold Nissan Frontier NISMO, great truck, could go almost anywhere in that thing and nice size for moving dirtbikes etc. Time to try out electric. Anyone ever wonder what would happen if 1 motor failed, particularly to a front wheel, particularly at speed?
The truck will be able to operate with certain motors disengaged, i.e front wheel drive in certain situations and rear in others, with the disengaged wheels "free wheeling". I imagine this can also be done in a selective manner for failures. As long as there isn't a mechanical stopage of the wheel, there should be no safety concerns.

The truck will be able to operate with certain motors disengaged, i.e front wheel drive in certain situations and rear in others, with the disengaged wheels "free wheeling". I imagine this can also be done in a selective manner for failures. As long as there isn't a mechanical stopage of the wheel, there should be no safety concerns.

I am sure it will work similar to Tesla Models that have dual motors. I remember reading if one motor fails you can continue driving with just the other motor.

I will be trading in my 2017 (new in April of '18) Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I had considered a Jeep Gladiator Rubicon but I just can't see getting something like that when the R1T will be everything that is and more. I had a 2014 F150 Ecoboost SuperCrew for a bit, but it didn't fit well in my garage so I replaced it with 2016 Tacoma DoubleCab Off-road -but it had transmission issues and Toyota bought it back from me. That's when I went back to a Wrangler. The Unlimited, 4 door version, has been great and I love it but my wife and I really have had great experiences with electric vehicles. So I'm putting away cash and, like do many others, waiting for more details to come from Rivian. Fingers crossed.

I'll be trading in my '17 Subaru Forester xt. It's a great car, but I miss having a pickup. Had an '01 ram with the diesel until I bought the Subaru.

Back