What's new
Rivian Forums Owners Club - R1T Pickup and R1S SUV Forum

The Rivian Owners Forums are now back online! The forums were offline for awhile as can be seen by the legacy threads and member communications, but hopefully we can begin growing again and be a great outlet for all current and future Rivian owners without being force fed ads all in your face as other forums out there do.

What would you like to see in your new Rivian??

Jazzyjeff139

Founding Member
let’s make this a place where we can all post things we’d like to see in our new Rivian’s.
Maybe RJ’s people will look at this list we create and add or tweak some of these if they haven’t already put them into the final production plans!!!
Feel free to add whatever you want or comment about knowing if something is already in their plans.
Happy posting Future Owner friends!!

Things I want to see on R1T:
  • Bright rear fog lights for outdoor activities
  • Keyless /card entry for sports/surfing etc not requiring me to carry a key/fob
  • Cam’s Front/rear/sides with recording capability to identify those who may harm our vehicles (Sentry mode)
  • Heated steering wheel & side view mirrors
  • Heads up display
  • Ability to change color of interior lighting

I’d like to see colors offered rather than the typical whites, blacks and shades of gray/silver. Toyota has a semi burnt orange called inferno that gets my vote.

Headrests that don’t push your head forward. From first hand experience the headrest on our 2017 Tacoma and the pre 2015 Mustangs are very uncomfortable, especially on long drives and to overcome this we either have to recline the seat too far or turn the headrest around thus defeating its purpose.

Some things I would love to see:
  • High-Power DC Fast charging allowing up to 350-kw. (I believe Tesla is currently maxed out around 210-kw/h. EVgo and EA have both installed stations capable of 350, and Porsche and BMW recently opened a 450-kw demonstration site... so the technology is available).
  • Integrated front/rear dash/traffic cameras w/auto recording & full 360-degree camera system.
  • Standard safety features (adaptive cruise/auto braking/rear cross traffic alert, collision avoidance, Exit sensors, Lane assist, HUD, etc.)
  • Smartphone compatible encrypted security system with real-time mobile alert, camera recording, GPS tracking and remote shut-down.
  • Full self-driving capability and semi-autonomous self-driving features including summon, autopark, auto lane-change, and active guidance.
  • Drive technology/air suspension that automatically detects traction conditions (snow, gravel, sand, mud, ice, rock crawl) and responds accordingly.
  • 5K touch-screen display with advanced GPS tracking, trail information, full voice-detection & control capability, charging station location services.
  • Compressed Air, 120v AC Power, and USB-C connectivity in rear bed. Tow-support package, trailer sway control, hill start assist, trailer rear-camera connectivity, trailer blind spot monitoring, tire pressure sensors for trailers that integrate seamlessly with the vehicle's own TPMS system with psi display and camera view on infotainment system.
  • Permanent 5G & mobile Wi-Fi hotspot for accessory device connectivity including the Rivian smartphone app, wireless charging capability.
  • Reclining rear seats, butter-soft leather seats, alcantara/suede headliner, heated leather steering wheel,
  • Full HEPA cabin filtration system, front and rear dual-zone climate controls, heated/cooled cup holders, heated/cooled seats. auto-climate control with electronically tinted/obscured "smart glass" windows for climate protection and security
  • Keyless/keycard entry with pin security to avoid taking a fob or keys on outdoor activities.
  • Cool accessories like the tent, Overlanding Kitchen (https://electrek.co/2019/05/18/rivian-camper-r1t-electric-pickup-truck/), and front trunk cooler!

1. External A/C for transporting my dogs to events
2. Tie downs in the floor in the back to tie down dog crates
I know there are tie downs, iI remember seeing them when I went on my 2nd visit back to the NYIAS just not sure where they are placed.

Some things I would love to see:
  • High-Power DC Fast charging allowing up to 350-kw. (I believe Tesla is currently maxed out around 210-kw/h. EVgo and EA have both installed stations capable of 350, and Porsche and BMW recently opened a 450-kw demonstration site... so the technology is available).
  • Integrated front/rear dash/traffic cameras w/auto recording & full 360-degree camera system.
  • Standard safety features (adaptive cruise/auto braking/rear cross traffic alert, collision avoidance, Exit sensors, Lane assist, HUD, etc.)
  • Smartphone compatible encrypted security system with real-time mobile alert, camera recording, GPS tracking and remote shut-down.
  • Full self-driving capability and semi-autonomous self-driving features including summon, autopark, auto lane-change, and active guidance.
  • Drive technology/air suspension that automatically detects traction conditions (snow, gravel, sand, mud, ice, rock crawl) and responds accordingly.
  • 5K touch-screen display with advanced GPS tracking, trail information, full voice-detection & control capability, charging station location services.
  • Compressed Air, 120v AC Power, and USB-C connectivity in rear bed. Tow-support package, trailer sway control, hill start assist, trailer rear-camera connectivity, trailer blind spot monitoring, tire pressure sensors for trailers that integrate seamlessly with the vehicle's own TPMS system with psi display and camera view on infotainment system.
  • Permanent 5G & mobile Wi-Fi hotspot for accessory device connectivity including the Rivian smartphone app, wireless charging capability.
  • Reclining rear seats, butter-soft leather seats, alcantara/suede headliner, heated leather steering wheel,
  • Full HEPA cabin filtration system, front and rear dual-zone climate controls, heated/cooled cup holders, heated/cooled seats. auto-climate control with electronically tinted/obscured "smart glass" windows for climate protection and security
  • Keyless/keycard entry with pin security to avoid taking a fob or keys on outdoor activities.
  • Cool accessories like the tent, Overlanding Kitchen (https://electrek.co/2019/05/18/rivian-camper-r1t-electric-pickup-truck/), and front trunk cooler!

Nice List @jimccoy There definitely is air and 120 hookups in the truck bed. Also I believe I was informed of all of the Standard driver assist features you mentioned. As for autonomy.... level 3 is what they say it’ll have.

Off the top of my head (meaning I'll probably be back to update a few times ;) ) ...
  • Full-size spare tire option for R1S. Even if it means carving section out of the frunk along with anchor points
  • Vehicle entry via keyless (keypad and/or card), fob and smartphone app
  • Robust smartphone app
  • Cameras that can also record for security purposes when vehicle is parked / not moving
  • Heated and cooled seats
  • "Camper mode" to run climate control when camping out in the cabin
  • HEPA cabin filter system
  • Onboard route planner sensitive to location, distance, accessibility and status of DC fast charging stations
  • Regen braking option to switch from accelerator to brake pedal along with selectable levels of regen
  • Since frunk is so deep/large, a front lift-gate for easy loading/unloading
  • Proximity detector of some-sort that will auto-open frunk lid - handy when carry large loads and both hands not available to open frunk
  • 110v/USB outlets and air compressor available on R1S like on the R1T
  • Rearview mirror can switch to rearview "display" for when view through cabin and/or bed is obstructed
  • Hmm ...
  • Side view mirrors retract when vehicle parked/off
  • Running boards (no preference if they retract or not)
  • Let's see, what else ...

Last edited:
I posted this in another group, but here we go:
1) A roof rail mounted collapsable 2 kW(maybe 4?) Solar array, to charge when you are camping. it won't add tons to range, but it would offset camping use. Also give shade.
2) User defined Low Speed sounds. Or the ability to change between different sounds. Easy Modding or more user defined control setup.
3) less reliance on a smart phone. If you are outdoors, and it gets damaged or ya lose it...because you are out adventuring, boom no car for you.
4) larger onboard charger for the 180kWhr pack. 11kW is nice for the other size packs...

Call me crazy (or maybe old) but I'd like an old fashioned wind wing or some modern deflector to make it more comfortable to drive with the window down.

Great lists. Thank you everyone. I haven't seen the bed yet but my wishlist item is an option for a longer bed (if needed and if possible).

Back