What's new
Rivian Forums Owners Club - R1T Pickup and R1S SUV Forum

The Rivian Owners Forums are now back online! The forums were offline for awhile as can be seen by the legacy threads and member communications, but hopefully we can begin growing again and be a great outlet for all current and future Rivian owners without being force fed ads all in your face as other forums out there do.

Will Tesla Pickup Beat Ford and Rivian?

cosmos

Founding Member
Good short video comparing Tesla, Rivian, & Ford. He did forget to mention some other advantages Tesla has such as their giga factories and tons of data they have at their disposal from all these years of customers driving Teslas.

Hey all, Tesla revealed their Cyber truck last night and it is... polarizing. To say the least. The specs are pretty impressive though. Not to mention its price points. But I just can't get over that look.

I agree. I think their radical design will drive more to Rivian. It moved me a lot closer to pre-ordering.

I’m anxiously awaiting more details on Rivian pricing and service model.

I am a Tesla fan - but not a fanatical fan boy. But they are drinking the Kool Aid on the Tesla sites. Conversely, the non Tesla peeps I am talking to are bewildered with that truck's design.

Full disclosure - I keep going back to look at it to see if it is growing on me. It is not. And the R1T sure is looking a lot more mainstream.

Informative video - thanks for the resource. I almost pulled the trigger on Ford until someone introduced me to Rivian last year. I'm new to EV, but it didn't take me long to invest after doing a little research. It's exciting to be on the precipice of a 2020-21 EV "boom"! (If we can call it that). Not that Tesla needs motivation, but a little competition, variety, and other thought processes on the EV market will be great.

Sounds like in the video he's comparing "heavy duty" trucks? Not in my scope of interest, but I am looking forward to what will come of the Ford-Rivian partnership. Also what inventions will come from Rivian's heavy-duty and fleet partnership outlets.

It was funny watching the Tesla fan posting on the reveal night. At first they were claiming that Musk was trolling and the real truck would roll out after. Then there was stunned disbelief. Then, as one, the groupthink line was “At first I was shocked at the look, but then it grew on me and now everything else looks dated. " It was as if someone was feeding them the narrative, because everyone said pretty much the exact same thing.

Last edited:
I HAD a preorder for the Cybertruck (as I went through the gamut of emotions mentioned above), but I ended up preordering the R1T because I just can't see myself enjoying driving the Cybertruck to work every day (it's WAY too big). I have a 2014 Toyota Tundra 1794 Edition and the R1T is 11" shorter. I'm really looking forward to that; it will fit in my garage MUCH better than my Tundra. The Cybertruck is 2" LONGER than my Tundra.

I just don't see myself driving the cyber truck - it is just way too "Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome" for me. If I am going to spend my hard earned dollars on a vehicle, I expect comfort, an element of luxury (which can be excellent design or actual cushy luxe), and practicality (AWD, Leather because it is durable and looks better with use, space for my dogs and gear, etc.) I really don't see any of that in the Cyber Truck. I do see those things in the Rivian - 100%.

Back